VillaMia property for sale and rent in Javea
+34 96 579 4139
Avenida Libertad 9H (Arenal)
Jávea 03730


Your NIE (Numero de Identificación de Extranjeros) is the "Foreigner's Identification Number" that we are all required to have.

Why do you need a NIE number?

You will need this if you want to:

  • Buy a house
  • Open a bank account in Spain
  • Apply for a mortgage or other loan in Spain
  • Pay taxes in Spain
  • Study in Spain
  • Get a Spanish driver’s licence
  • Buy a car
  • Register for national Social Security Health plan
  • Set up a company, start a business or simply work in Spain
  • Register with social services

How to apply for a NIE number?

The nearest office that issues these is in Dénia and you’ll need to make an appointment. To make the appointment we will need your passport (they will not accept a photocopy for this). Then you and the translator would go to the ‘interview’ which sounds rather more formal than it is, depending on which civil servant you get!

At this time we would need a photocopy of your passport and one passport size photo. We would then fill out the forms, go to the bank and pay the 9,20€, return the payment docket to the Estranjeria office. We will then return the following week if necessary to collect it.

Note that there are 2 types of NIE - resident NIE, if you intend to spend most or all of your time in Spain, and non-resident NIE if you don’t intend to live here but want to buy a property in Spain and need to pay taxes here, for example.

If you are unsure whether you need a NIE or a TIE if you are from outside the EU, it is always best to get a professional company to help you. Get in touch and we can recommend people to carry out this service for under 100 euros.

TIE Number In Spain

The resident NIE number is for European residents. If you are from the UK, you now need to apply for the TIE - Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjeros - for non-EU residents. This identity card has your personal details, photo and fingerprints on it.

Who needs a TIE number?

If you intend to move to Spain permanently after Brexit or will spend more than 90 days in any 180 day period, you need to apply to get your TIE from the office in Alicante. This will be valid for 5 years.

How do you get a TIE number?

It is more complicated than the NIE as you will need:

  • A valid passport
  • Health cover, either the S1 form if you are a UK pensioner or private medical insurance
  • Bank certificates showing a minimum balance - usually 9,000€ per person - or a work contract or proof of income

If you are moving to Spain and need to apply for the TIE or you live in Spain already and want to switch your NIE to a TIE, we can help you.

Get in touch and we will recommend a professional company to help you.

Sign up for the VíllaMía Newsletter

Sign up for our informative and fun packed monthly newsletter!
We won't share your email, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

    VillaMia real estate newsletter Costa Blanca Spain

    Contact Us

    Social Media

    Visit our Office

    Mon - Fri 10:00am - 5:00pm
    Sat - by appointment only
    Avenida Libertad 9H (Arenal),
    03730 Javea (Alicante), 

    About Us

    VíllaMía offers a complete service, including rentals, sales and property management in Jávea, Moraira and Denia.
    AIPP Association of International Property Professionals
    © 2021 Mía Costa Blanca S.L.
    Política de Privacidad
    Política de Cookies
    Aviso Legal
    Website by Webpixel Media
    closehomeclock-omap-markerchevron-downphonephone-squarebarsenvelope linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram